Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Teachable Moments

My blog post is simply another teacher's blog post from our G/T Thirty Hour Blog.

Here it is:

" I like the universal concept. I took the example from the last meeting and used patterns as my concept. I began by using the concept patterns in the weather, since this is the time with the change of seasons. A student found a wooden stick that was weathered. It made patterns in the ridges. The whole class was excited to see how the weather left a mark on the stick. It was awesome! A great teachable moment."

This blog post made me reflect on those precious teachable moments we have all encountered. I would love to hear YOUR teachable moments! Do share!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliance recognizes and engages in teachable moments.Students feed off of the teacher's enthusiasm and engagement. Doors open to deeper thinking no matter the subject. Today, for example, in a class on decoding words, a person sneezed. Someone said, "Bless you," yet the class was confused becuase they didn't understand the comment made by the blesser. Rather than let this distract the coding exercise, I immediately posted the word "sneeze" and we coded it instead. It was an immediate application of the process in a fun, relevant way. It brought exctiement to the lesson and a bit of humor as well. The engagement within the class increased and deeper learning became tangible within the class. Teachable moments are always waiting to be harvested from the interactions and interests of engaged students and teachers. Please keep sharing your teachable moments. I loved hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure you won't mind a bit of a departure from your question - but as opposed to teachable moments i have found myself having blogable moments, [insert groan of audience]. because i don't have a class full of students i work with everyday, i have found more and more that i am having experiences and thoughts that i look forward to blogging about so i can get them out on 'paper' and perhaps (although not as importantly) hear what others think as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachable moments happen between me and my teenagers, but instead of me doing the teaching, it is the other way around. Just last week, I learned what it means to Yoville on FB, add my “peeps” on my phone, and type in some emoticons like ;*( for crying, }:[ for angry and :-D, for laughing. It’s just amazing how much I learn from them.

    ReplyDelete